Update on Hurricane Long Surfing Rudder

Monday, April 16, 2007 / Posted by Rambo /

Lot's of paddlers have asked me for more info on the longer, slimmer and lighter surfing rudder that i have on my Hurricane and where they can purchase it from. It's actually an Outrigger Zone product (the maker of the Canoe) and while it did perform as i stated in an earlier post http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/2007/03/about-my-single-outrigger-canoe-oc1.html
it did not last very long, neither did the ones fitted to 2 other canoes belonging to my paddling buddy's.

The problem is the rudder is so thin at the shaft entry point that the carbon splits on both sides and water enters and delaminates the fibres. The rudder exterior takes on the appearance of shark skin and the complete rudder twists into an "s" shape, not very hydrodynamic in that shape i can assure you.
Cracked where shaft enters rudder


Not enough "meat" on either side of shaft


Two Rudders Side by Side (click for close up)

I'm sure Outrigger Zone are on to this and a better version will be available soon. I hope so because it really does make a difference to the canoes handling.

Rambo

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment